At the Doctoral School of the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn the same recruitment conditions apply for Polish citizens and foreigners. Foreigners have to go through the recruitment process on the basis of the recruitment resolution for the Doctoral School adopted by the Senate of UWM in Olsztyn. Recruitment to our Doctoral School takes place through a competition according to the rules set out in this resolution.

Foreigners may undertake and follow education in Doctoral Schools on the basis of (art. 323, sec. 1 of the Law on Higher Education and Science):

– international agreements, according to the rules specified in these agreements,

– agreements concluded with foreign entities by higher education institutions, according to the rules specified in these agreements,

– decisions of the Minister,

– the decision of the director of NAWA with regard to its grantees,

– the decision of the director of NCN to grant funds for the implementation of basic research in the form of a research project, internship or scholarship,

– administrative decision of the rector.

For more information on the education of foreigners, please contact Ms Żaneta Kulawczyk (International Cooperation Office), e-mail:


Persons in possession of a document certifying their education (a diploma of graduation issued outside Poland and recognised in the Republic of Poland) shall submit to the Office of the Doctoral School by the date in accordance with the recruitment plan.

These documents should bear an apostille (or be legalised) and have a translation into Polish.


The apostille is a certification whereby official documents (including certificates and diplomas) issued on the territory of one state are recognised as legal on the territory of another state. The Apostille was introduced by the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, drawn up at The Hague on 5 October 1961 (Journal of Laws of 2005, No. 112, item 938) and applies to countries that have adopted the Hague Convention. The apostille is obtained in the country which issued the document.


Legalisation is the confirmation of the authenticity of a document (e.g. a certificate or diploma) issued in another country. If the country in which the diploma was issued is not on the list of signatories of the Hague Convention, the document should be legalised.

Legalisation of a document is done by a Polish consul in the country where the document was issued.

Translation of document

In addition to obtaining an apostille or legalisation, any document issued in a language other than Polish must be translated into Polish. The translation must be certified by a Polish sworn translator (entered on the list of sworn translators kept by the Minister of Justice), a sworn translator from the EU (if there is an institution of sworn translators in that country) or a Polish consul (consulate).

List of sworn translators:

Legalisation of residence of foreigner’s

A temporary residence permit for the purpose of study at the Doctoral School of UWM in Olsztyn is granted to a foreigner if the purpose of his/her stay in the territory of the Republic of Poland is to undertake or continue studies at the Doctoral School, also when these studies are a continuation or a supplement of studies undertaken by a foreigner on the territory of another EU member state.

The permit shall be granted if the circumstances which constitute the basis for applying for this permit justify the foreigner’s stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland for a period longer than 3 months.

Temporary residence permit

How to submit an application:

You submit the application in person, no later than on the last day of your legal stay on the territory of Poland, to the voivode in charge of the foreigner’s place of residence.

 You are required to submit fingerprints when submitting the application.

IF YOU WANT TO APPLY FOR A TERM RESIDENCE (does not apply to applications sent by post, in which case you will receive a summons from the office for a visit with a deadline)

Fill in the application in the MOS system

Print out the application from the MOS system. Come to the appointment with the printed application.

Make a reservation.

Come for a visit to the office on the date specified in the booking.

NOTE: completing the application in the MOS does not mean submitting it to the authority – if the appointed date of the visit falls after the day of your legal stay – do not wait – send the completed application to the authority in order to keep the date of your legal stay.


Send an email with the application form to: – from your individual email address – 1 email address = 1 person = 1 application


  • Type of application
  • Is the application completed in MOS
  • First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • nationality
  • address of residence in Poland
  • telephone number in Poland (+48)
  • individual e-mail.
  • Application form.

Information about the date of your visit will be sent to the e-mail address from which you sent your application.

Please note that the appointment information will not contain your name and surname, so it is necessary to send your request from your individual, personal e-mail address.

It is not possible to swap appointments with another person. Only people whose details were provided on the application form will be accepted.

If you are unable to attend your appointment please cancel your booking via and send a new application.


Foreigners entitled to stay under visa-free regime:

During a visa-free stay, a foreigner should fulfil the following conditions:

be in possession of a valid travel document, be able to justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay and have sufficient means of subsistence or the ability to obtain them lawfully, not be a person for whom an alert has been issued for the purposes of refusing entry in the SIS and not be considered to constitute a threat to public policy, internal security, public health or the international relations of any of the Member States and, in particular, not be the subject of an alert for the purposes of refusing entry in the national databases of the Member States on these grounds.

Extension of a national visa

A visa may be extended only once

The provincial governor may extend a national visa if all of the following conditions are met:

an important professional or personal interest of the foreigner or humanitarian reasons which prevent the foreigner from leaving the territory of the Republic of Poland before the expiry of the visa validity period or before the end of the permitted period of stay covered by the visa, the events which are the reason for applying for visa extension occurred independently of the foreigner’s will and could not be foreseen on the day of applying for the visa, the circumstances of the case do not indicate that the purpose of the foreigner’s stay in the territory of the Republic of Poland will be different from the declared one, the circumstances due to which the national visa is refused do not occur.

Schengen visa extension

Obligatory extension of a Schengen visa

The provincial governor extends the Schengen visa if the visa holder proves that due to force majeure or for humanitarian reasons it is not possible to leave the territory of the Member States before the visa expires or before the end of the permitted period of stay covered by the visa.

Optional extension of a Schengen visa

The provincial governor may extend the Schengen visa if the visa holder has provided evidence of important personal reasons justifying an extension of the visa or the period of stay.


Foreigners are obliged to have an insurance policy against illness and accidents for the period of education in the Republic of Poland or a European Health Insurance Card. In the absence of the above documents, foreigners are obliged to take out insurance with the National Health Fund immediately after commencing their education. The University has the right to verify possession of the aforementioned documents, and the foreigner is obliged to provide these documents immediately at any request of the University.


The University of Warmia and Mazury is home to the “Zak” Foundation, which offers students and doctoral students 2031 beds in 10 dormitories.

Foreign doctoral students admitted to the Doctoral School may apply for a place in one of the dormitories using the form

For more information: